Monday, March 10, 2008

Huge Photo Dump

Kambri had her 1st Ritz cracker today and she did really good! Isn't she getting really big. She is 8 months old on the 11th. Big Girl!!!
Mmmm good!!
On top of the world with Auntie Laura!!!

It rained today and we have our own built in slide!!! Dad makes a good one!

Kyla wanted me to paint her nails before church and she was not patient at all. I went down and caught her doing this!!!


She is a natural. She did pretty good!
Kade all day on Saturday kept asking Kyle for an envelope so that he could mail a letter to Grandpa. Kyle I guess forgot to give him one. While at church, his teacher gave them a game and she had put it in an envelope. We get home and Kyle and I are changing out of our church clothes, we hear the front door and Kade comes running in. We ask him who went out the front door and he said, "me". We asked him what he did and he said "I mailed Grandpa a letter". We told him that he needed an envelope and he said he had one. Kyle knew immediately what he used. He used the one from church and this is how it looked in the box. What a cutie!
Kids can be so creative. I guess they needed to eat potatoes in the dark cause I make them every night. That is just so weird to me cause I love potatoes and they are sick of 'em. Anyways, I am making dinner and they go around the house and turn off all the lights. They said that the power is out. So we ate dinner with the lights off and by candlelight. We have a good flash.
Without the flash!

Sorry I haven't blogged that much. I have been busy planning a talk for church. I was very scared and felt very unworthy to give a talk. I am grateful for the challenge and am very happy that it is over. Here it is, I didn't bother to edit it and make it perfect, needless to say, here it is in rough draft form;
Talk thoughts

When I think of my Savior and the many things He taught me and the many examples He set for me, I think of the Atonement. That all started with the council in Heaven where our Father in Heaven presented the Plan of Salvation to us. As stated in Moses 3:1 and 2:
The Lord is speaking to Moses and is explaining in verse 1 where satan volunteers to be the redeeming one for all of mankind but he wanted the glory. In verse 2 Jesus, the Beloved Son and the chosen Son from the beginning said ….Father, thy will be done, and the glory be thine forever. Our Savior, our Brother showed us obedience and service.
So many times in our life, are we willing to give of ourselves to help lighten someone else’s burdens?
In Mosiah 18:8-9 we are taught that we need to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light.
And are willing to mourn with those that mourn, yea and comfort those that stand in need of comfort and stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things and in all places that we may be in.


I have a lot of favorite stories in the scriptures that teach me service. One is in 2nd Kings chapter 4 starting with verse 8. There was a Shunem woman who offered Elisha, the prophet, bread to eat. So from that time forward any time Elisha passed by, he stopped in to eat. This Shunammite woman recognized that Elisha was a man of God and knew he was holy so she asked her husband to make a chamber for him with a bed, a table, a stool and a candlestick. Hoping that when he came through, he would stay with them. Elisha then asked Gehazi his servant what she might want, because she had taken such good care of him and Elisha wanted to show his appreciation. Gehazi replied that she is without child and her husband is old. Elisha told her that she would embrace a son. Keep in mind, she did not ask for anything, but the Lord through his prophet, blessed her for her service. This Shunammite woman served because she wanted to and she received joy from it. By her serving purely for the joy of it, she allowed the Lord to choose a blessing most suitable for her.

I have a story where someone helped me. I do not know of the blessings she received, but I know that she was willing to lighten a burden for me and comfort me when I needed it. I don’t want to embarrass her and my girls will know who she is because I have shared this story more than once in my class, and it will be one that I will remember forever. I suffer from migraines on a regular basis. The only time I am pretty much exempt from one is during pregnancy. Kyle had gone to the airport to pick up my brother for me and I stayed home trying to nurse my head so it wouldn’t turn into a full blown migraine. Needless to say, it did. I remember, trying to care for my two kids at that time which were 2 and 3. I was sitting on the steps in the hallway crying pleading with Heavenly Father begging that our home teacher’s, bishop someone would come and help me. Guess who shows up!!! My friend. If I remember right, she kinda knew all day that she was going to come over. She didn’t know why but she just knew. She took me to the hospital in Silverdale and waited with me till Kyle came and then took my kids home and put them in bed and waited till we got there. I think we showed up around 1 in the morning. The details are a little foggy, but I will never forget how she was in tune with the spirit and she did for me what I know the Savior would have done for any one of us!

Nephi is a favorite of mine. He was always obedient. One of my favorite primary songs is Nephi’s courage. The chorus line is “I will go, I will do the thing the Lord commands….. I know the Lord provides a way, he wants me to obey”
When I ask my kids to do something they don’t want to do, I always sing “I will go, I will do the things my mommy asks!!! I get a kick out of it, and my kids can’t argue with a singing mommy!!!

That gives me hope that I can do what I know is right. Our Father in Heaven wants us to obey. He will provide a way, it might not be easy and more than likely it might not go the way we had it planned, nonetheless he will provide the way. Following our Savior might not always be the most popular and we might at times in our life feel pretty lonely, but He will provide a way, because he wants me to obey. In St. John 6:60-61 and 66-69 we learn of His divine obedience. He was teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum and many did not like what was taught. In verse 60 it says, when they had heard this, they said, “This is an hard saying, who can hear this?
Jesus knew that his disciples murmured and he said unto them… Doth this offend you?
As we read in 66 we learn that many of his disciples walked with him no more. Then Jesus said unto the 12, Will ye also go away? And in 68, Simon Peter answered, Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life.
And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the Living God.

How many times do we struggle to the pressures of the world? Following Christs’ example is the only way to eternal life. He marked the path for us and we must hold to that rod steadfastly and not let go, as in Lehi’s vision where people made it to the tree and then got embarrassed and walked away. We must not be embarrassed or ashamed of the true Gospel of Christ. He paid the price for us so that we may live eternally. I know first hand how my life has changed for the better by being obedient and striving to serve more diligently.

In the Friend, President Monson relates a story he heard from William J. Critchlow Jr. It was about a young boy named Rupert. He was out and about and saw an unusual number of people going by. Then he spotted his friend and asked him what was going on. The friend told Rupert that the King lost his emerald and that they were out to find it. The king was offering a reward. Rupert wanted to go and he knew he had to ask his grandma. The sheep were getting restless and Rupert needed to take them to pasture. She told him not to forget to take them to water when the sun is shining high in the heavens.
Rupert was sad but he did his duty. He was obedient to his grandma. As he was sitting on a big rock he looked into the water at the sandy bottom, and what was that he saw…. It was the Kings emerald. Rupert ran back to tell his grandma of his great find and his grandma was well pleased. She told Rupert that he would not have found it if he did not do his duty.

At the end of this story, I like what President Monson said…. “Do your duty that is best, leave unto the Lord the rest!”

That is so true, remember the story of the Shunnamite woman, she did her duty, she served with joy and she was blest. Nephi was very obedient through all his trials, and he was guided to the promised land.

In closing I would like to share a quote by one of our beloved prophets, President Howard W. Hunter: We must know Christ better that we know him; we must remember him more often than we remember him; we must serve him more valiantly that we serve him”
I hope that we can treat each other with more kindness, more courtesy, more humility, more patience and forgiveness.

I have a testimony of our Savior and of the atonement. When I hear or read of the last days of his life, I feel so bad that he suffered for me. When I think of some of the choices I have made in the past and to know that I caused him some of that pain, I feel so bad. I do know that it is much better and I am happier being obedient. I feel better about myself when I can try to help someone else. This world is not the same and by the time my kids are my age, I can’t imagine what will be going on in the world. I can pray that it might be better. All I can do right now is try to teach my kids that happiness is obedience and service. I know that Jesus lives, as we approach Easter and what it represents, I hope that we can all remember that he loves us all. He died on the cross for us!


5 comments:

John and Laura said...

Yeah, that's a great picture of Auntie Laura. Thanks.

And I thought your talk was great. I'm glad it's over, though, so you can relax (with your stress-induced headache, of course) until next time. :)

Tina said...

Your family is so cute! I love seeing the creative things you guys do. I'm so impressed that Kyla put a magazine under her foot first...she is a natural!

That really was an awesome talk, Marci!

Kyle and Marci said...

Thanks girls! It makes it easier to do some difficult things when I have such amazing and sweet friends! I'm pretty lucky!!

Melissa and Nate said...

Ok, your kids are so creative! I love how badly Kade wanted to mail his Grandpa a letter! And it was so cute how they used Kyle as a slide.
Thanks for sharing your talk. It was amazing!

Anonymous said...

Melissa, you know what is even funnier.... okay so everyone knows how short I am. Well they were doing that with me at first and they were only able to get like 2 1/2 stairs. When Kyle saw it, he goes, here let me do it and they had way more fun! Kids are creative, but ya have to be when it rains! When are you guys coming up here? Either that, or you have to come to San Diego to see us!!!