Saturday, November 1, 2008

Latter Day Lehi's Dream

This was very hard for me to go and do. I want to be considered obedient and I do have a huge testimony of family. I know how incredibly controversial this proposition is not only for the people of California but for Saints in other states. This just isn't about homosexuals wanting to get married. If it were, there wouldn't be a controversy. We all have our free agency. There is so much to it. It would affect our churches, not just LDS churches but all the churches. I know Saints here even in this ward who are having a hard time with it. We have heard our apostles say that being gay is not tolerated, just like committing adultery is not tolerated. Having said that, that does NOT mean that our brothers and sisters are not loved. They are, they are children of our Heavenly Father just like we are. They just have different struggles than we do. Some people are born being drug addicts or alcoholics. Some say that being gay is a genetic gene now. I don't know if that is the case or not, but none the less, it is a struggle that they have to face for the rest of their lives. We all are loved no matter what!





Standing on the street corner holding up YES signs, was a bit emotional for me. The hatred that the none supporters exercised was difficult for me. It honestly was a latter day version of Lehi's dream. The people who were cursing and throwing the bird finger and yelling hateful words were the people of the great and spacious building. All we are doing is trying to hold to the rod. It is funny how we all know that the family is the most important gift our Father in Heaven could give us. We all know that marriage is sacred and holy and it is a union between a man and a woman. If that weren't the case, then I think that Heavenly Father would have been a bit more creative when placing Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden.

I am grateful for this opportunity. I am grateful for my Father in Heaven, for his love he has on me and my family. I am so grateful for my loving husband and our children. I am grateful for the Gospel and for faith. In times like these, we need to exercise our faith and know that Heavenly Father has a plan for us.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Good for you, Marci! Can't wait to hear the results!

Unknown said...

I'm so impressed that you stood there. And the analogy between that and Lehi's dream was right on. You're awesome!

Sullivan Family said...

congrats on prop 8. it was prolly that cute blonde on the corner of convoy street that brought in all the votes!